I’ve got a weight-loss secret for lazy people.
By using this secret, I’ve lost 25 pounds since January 12, 2012. I didn’t use a trainer (though I did watch a Bob Harper DVD a little and read his book Are you ready!. a lot for a couple weeks.) I didn’t buy a gym membership (though we did buy a couple hand weights, and then was given a couple bigger ones, and then rescued a weight bench from the trash across the street, and then pulled Andrew’s old weights out of storage.) I gave up low-calorie frozen meals and I still can’t do pushups and won’t run for fear of wrecking my knee.
So what’s the secret?
I decided that I wanted to be healthy. And that I wanted to lose 8 pounds in two months, for our anniversary. That’s not much, just a pound a week.
- by starting to ride a stationary bike while reading,
- and by having almonds and shredded wheat for snacks for when you stress-eat,
- and by eating the same thing for breakfast and lunch every day,
- and by going for walks with Nancy,
- and by taking time to make consistent little steps knowing they matter in two months rather than today,
- and by looking at some foods and saying, “I didn’t work this hard to waste it on that donut,”
- and by looking at other foods and saying, “I worked this hard in order to celebrate it on that home-made Hope cupcake,”
you end up losing 25 pounds in 20 weeks.
It turns out that after having a goal in 2011 to lose 18 pounds, and having “Jamaica” as one of my three words in 2010, in order to lose weight I didn’t need programs or diets or plans. I needed to simply change how I lived. Every day.
I think it’s a parable.
If you found this post helpful or challenging, subscribe to 300wordsaday.com for daily words about following Jesus.