First published January 7, 2013. Updated for 2016.
You can plan now to make something happen every Monday in 2016.
All you have to do is one of these:
- Tell your child/children you are grateful they are alive.
- Ask God for wisdom for the decisions you have to make this week.
- Drink a large glass of water.
- Read Psalm 19.
- Write an encouraging email to a friend.
- On a scrap of paper, write one thing you want to implement from a sermon you heard on Sunday. Tape it to your monitor.
- Look at the sunrise. Or sunset.
- Read one chapter from the book that is on the top of your reading pile.
- Look in the mirror and say, “I glad that God made you.”
- Eat 100 calories less than you otherwise would.
- Hand $5 to someone that you don’t own money to.
- Unsubscribe from an enewsletter that isn’t helping you as much anymore.
- Make a list of six things that have to be done by Friday.
- On a scrap of paper, write the name of one person you want to ask God to help. Tape it to your mirror.
- Extra difficulty: On a scrap of paper, write the name of one person who annoys you (or is trying to undermine you) and tape it to your mirror. Then ask God to bless them.
- Put a 90 minute appointment for thinking and writing on Monday’s calendar.
- Clean one pile off your desk.
- Defer to someone else’s wishes for one specific thing.
- Unprocrastinate on one project.
- Stop. For 15 minutes.
You can fill in your own action. Just pick something. This offer expires at midnight, your time, on January 4, 2016.
The result? 52 actions. In a row.
You could also read one of my books. A Great Work is a conversation with Nehemiah about the book of Nehemiah. (Kindle version) Learning a new routine can help you read the sermon on the mount. And Lent for non-lent people will be helpful starting February 10.