A moment of clarity.

My academic roots are in communication. I’ve spent years trying to clarify and illustrate and explain and mediate. At my best, I’m only partially successful. Of course, most of us aren’t much better. The biblical account traces this confusion back to a place known as Babel. Humans were ignoring God’s direction to spread out. They […]

Read More…

Obliged. Thank you.

I talked with some junior high and high school students the other night about some of the ways that we are different. I spent some time talking about Gretchen Rubin’s discussion of the different ways we respond to expectations (See Expectations and Lent for more discussion). I told them that I’m a person who can meet the expectations […]

Read More…

Creating noise.

(First published May 30, 2013) I keep saying to people around church, “we are creating our own noise.”  I realized that I need to take some time to explain what I mean. Imagine conversing with a friend in a quiet coffee shop. You’ve not seen each other for a long time. You’ve been looking forward […]

Read More…

Words matter

When I was a kid, this was a popular saying: “sticks and stones may break my bones, but words will never hurt me.” (It dates back to 1862, but I am not that old.) But words do hurt. I recently heard a talk where the leader asked everyone to remember either words that hurt them or words […]

Read More…