My son told me about a friend at college whose dad has only told him he loved him a handful of times. That dad assumes his son knows he loves him, since he told him already.
We all need frequent reminders of truths we already know. Hearing them once is not enough.
Some of the truths I need to hear over and over are:
- God loves me (Zephaniah 3:17).
- I need to confess the wrong things I’ve done (1 John 1:9).
- After I confess those things, my load will be much lighter (Psalm 32:2).
- The wrong things I’ve done can be forgiven (Psalm 103:12).
- When things look really bad, I may not be seeing the whole picture (Genesis 37, 39-46).
- It may take a while till I see the light at the end of the tunnel (also from Genesis 37, 39-46).
It’s good to be saturated with truth again and again – you may kill your plant if you water it only once a month.
Do you have more reminders to add to this very short list? Please share them with us in the comments.
Oh – and go tell someone important to you that you love them. Every day.
Paul Merrill writes here every first Friday.